Thursday 28 January 2010

Audience research: interview results

Results for audience research interview
Interviewee: Katie Watts

What do you expect from a thriller opening?

Ermm I expect a fast paced exciting opening which creates a mystery and makes me guess and ask questions about the film to come. I like the use of soundtracks as they make it more exciting and effective.

What would you find the scariest opening?

I really don’t like torture so I think that would be incredibly scary I also find jump cuts of eerie images scary and when combined with a sinister soundtrack I can become very frightened and involved with a thriller opening.

What would you say is an ideal location for a thriller opening?

Personally I think anywhere can be a good location depending on the lighting, because I find the lighting is what makes or breaks a scene. The darker the better I also like when strong beams of light are used.

Should the opening be graphic?

Sometimes I think a graphic or gory opening is brilliant depending on the films theme and plot, but a slow suspense building opening can be just as effective if done properly. I personally don’t think an opening should be too graphic as it might turn away audience members.

Do you think the opening should create enigma?

Yes I think this is a very important aspect of a thriller film, enigma engages me as an audience member and makes me feel like I am a part of the action itself. Enigma is also a clever hook to keep me watching.

From this interview I have gained more understanding of what the end viewer prefers and expects from a thriller opening. These results will be used when planning my thriller opening because I need to understand what the audience wants to create the best suited opening.

1 comment:

  1. You need to add comments to this interview and say how the interview will inform your own production.

    ReplyDelete